First off, what a game. With the pitching and defense dominating providing for a quick pace I seriously had to pinch myself and make myself realize I wasn’t watching a Mariners game. That was some of the most exciting, edge of my seat all star game I have ever seen. Here are some of my thoughts throughout the game.
- I’m a sucker for all of the pagentry. I love when they announce the players and the managers. It was so cool to see Ozzie Smith and Bob Gipson, two of my favorite HOF’ers, and especially Stan ‘The Man’ Musial give the ball to Obama. While by his own admission, Obama has a pretty weak arm and you can tell he had never played organized baseball, but I hella respect him going with his White Sox Jacket. If only Bush had worn a Texas jacket throwing out the first pitch in NY after 9/11. I guess that was a little different situation.
- My heart is always pounding when a Mariner is making their appearance in an All Star game because I know in the back of my mind that their opportunities are limited. Thankfully Ichiro got his hit out of the gate and Felix threw a brilliant scoreless inning and we didn’t have to go through that Putz debacle of a few years back.
- I LOATHE Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. The only reason Joe Buck is in a radio booth is because his dad is Jack Buck and he’s got a nice voice. He’s often distracted and has little tangible enthusiasm. Tim McCarver on the other hand is even worse. He should be in a home rather than being paid to be heard aloud for humans to hear. He says the most obvioius things like, “This switch hitter hit a home run from both sides on Sunday. That means he hit one batting right handed AND left handed.” No shit. The thing that really pissed me off is when Felix came into pitch they did not even mention his name until there was two outs. It’s like what the hell! Stop talking about how great a guy Ryan Howard is and focus on the game! He’s not even up yet!
- People will probably say that Albert Pujol’s All Star performance was disapointing. I beg to differ. He made some plays at first that I’ve never seen made. He is one hell of a first basemen. Sure he made an error but that guy was standing right in front of him. I knew he was good but his defensive play tonight solidified that he is the best player in the Major Leagues in all facets of the game right now.
- Speaking of defense, Carl Crawford is a beast. A natural center fielder, I had little doubt that once he jumped he had it. Once Hamilton was out of the game, I felt like Joe Maddon knew what kind of game was going to be played with the caliber of pitching on the mound. He ran out Carl Crawford, Curtis Granderson, and Adam Jones. Thats basically the Mariners outfield in terms of defensive ability. Its a new approach dubbed the “3 CF” approach and catches like Crawfords hopefully solidify what people like Adam Dunn shouldn’t be able to own a baseball glove, let alone play the OF.
- I love Curtis Granderson. Ever since my failed attempt to play fantasy baseball, I’ve always followed his career and really admired the way he plays. He is a triple hitting machine and let out as loud of a little ‘woo’ as I could tonight when he hit that triple.
- If I was an Indian’s fan I would be SO pissed. I understand Charlie Manuel’s got a pretty good shot to get back to the World Series and he was managing the game to win, but still. I would be so mad that my only representative in the game got intentionally walked.
- I’m pretty much over the whole Adam Jones situation to the point where I really like just rooting for him. I’m glad he got the winning sac fly and wish him the very best. Besides we got GOOT!
- I’m glad Heath Bell got the loss because he is a hated rival Padre and a big fat douche bag.
All in all it was a very exciting game and for as long as I live I’ll never get used to one run games. So exhilarating every time. I’m sure Comish Selig was relieved to go from that 4 hour and 50 minute debacle to a 2 hour and 30 minute thriller. Here’s to keeping the streak alive!